Movie problems in LiveCode

stgoldberg at aol.com stgoldberg at aol.com
Thu Mar 26 09:47:40 EDT 2015

Regarding the problem of the LC 6-7 series not allowing relative paths on the Macintosh:

>On 3/24/2015 10:26 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> I've always been wary of shipping things that rely on
>relative paths, since any other script can change the
>default directory out from under me at any time.
>In apps where the media I'm playing resides in a single
>folder. I often just have a central handler cover that to
>which I pass the file's short name only and it takes care
>of the rest, e.g.:
>
> on PlayMovie pFile
>    put specialFolderPath("documents")&"/MyApp/media/"& pFile into
tPath
>    if there is not a file tPath then
>       answer "Media file missing: "& tPath
>       exit to top
>    end if
>    play tPath
> end PlayMovie

>Jackie Landman Gay wrote:
>That's exactly what I do too, I've never trusted relative paths.

Richard and Jackie, does your reluctance to use relative paths
also extend to the distribution of standalones, or is it just stacks
that present the problem? I’m not experienced enough to follow the above script.
Perhaps you can recommend a place where I can find a more
detailed explanation.
Thanks.

Stephen Goldberg, President
Medmaster Publishing Co.
Prof Emeritus, Univ Miami Miller School of Medicine