Movie problems in LiveCode

stgoldberg at aol.com stgoldberg at aol.com
Mon Mar 23 07:09:53 EDT 2015

I  confirm bug 14435 reported by Devin Asay regarding the current problem with creating movies on Macintosh using LiveCode versions in the LC6-7 series. This is a significant problem since it appears impossible at this point to create standalones on the Mac that will display player movies on Windows. This is because in the  LC 6-7 versions for Mac (preliminary version 8, too) once a relative path is placed in the Property Inspector filename window of a movie player on Mac it immediately reverts to the absolute path on closing the Inspector.  I could not assign a relative path by script either.  This makes it impossible with LC 6-7 versions to create a standalone on a Macintosh for Windows that contains a functioning player movie, since there is no relative path in the player Property Inspector, and Windows therefore doesn’t recognize the movie.

There an additional problem: The later Mac versions of LC apparently will not display a Quicktime VR movie on the Mac. Can anyone display a Quicktime VR movie in the Mac LC 6-7 series?

 I use a lot of movies, and therefore have stayed with Mac LC version 5.5.3, which works fine.

Interestingly, these problems do not exist with LiveCode for Windows. The movie player in Windows (Vista) with  LC 7.0 remembers the relative path. Also in the Windows version there is no difficulty in displaying a Quicktime VR movie.

And yet another movie problem: Trying to change the loc of a movieClip in its Property Inspector does not work (for me) on Mac or Windows in Mac versions 5.5.3 or later or in Windows 7.0 (the only Windows version I have tested); the movieClip always appears in the same location on the screen regardless of where the loc is set in the movieClip inspector.

There is thus a triple  whammy regarding movies, involving Quicktime player movies, Quicktime VR movies, and videoClips. I hope these problems are corrected soon, as movies are an important feature of LiveCode, particularly for educators.

Stephen Goldberg, President
Medmaster Publishing Co.
Professor Emeritus
Univ of Miami Miller School of Medicine