LiveCode 8 Library Component: MLT Video Editing Framework

David Bovill david at viral.academy
Sun Mar 22 03:58:37 EDT 2015

Thanks so much for the reply Mark. I would like to understand the
difference between module and dependent code sufficiently to be able to
look at C code and its documentation and understand this issue.

When a package manager (like brew) lists a bunch of things it is going to
install is there a way to know what sort of dependency is being fetched?

Other questions (related to the one above) I'd like to get a handle on -
specifically in this area of wrap-able command line tools: what are the
advantages to wrapping a library in a widget over creating a library in
livescript that makes shell calls?

* is there a speed advantage (its usually only one shell call out per
library handler)

Taking MLT as an example - it uses / depends on FFMPEG. My assumption is
that this is a module, and that if it were installed on my machine with an
appropriate package manager then would my MLT widget library would be able
to use FFMPEG?

Any pointers on reading / how to gain this level of knowledge would be
greatly appreciated.