Speed on Android

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Mar 20 20:39:40 EDT 2015

On 3/20/2015 4:52 PM, Colin Holgate wrote:
> Is there a very simple test stack you can make that shows the delay?
> Does it make a difference if you use touch events instead of mouse
> events?

Okay, I've narrowed it down to the database drivers or libraries. If I
create an apk without any database inclusions, everything is snappy and
runs great. I get some database connection errors in my scripts which is
to be expected, but reaction to touch events is instant and card changes
are fast.

Then I recompile with the database driver (mySQL) and database library
and bam. By the clock, 14 seconds from a mouseDown to script execution.
What has me puzzled is that this happens on every button, every touch,
every card, regardless of whether or not it uses database calls. For
example, a button with only a single line of script "go card xxx" has
the same delay. On a card with nothing but a list field, a tapped line
takes 15 seconds to recognize the tap and hilite.

So something about the database is blocking everything else. I haven't
worked with it before so I don't know what. Are there some techniques I
should be using, like closing connections at a certain time or something
else?

The stack works fine on desktop, btw.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com