Quantum tunneling in LiveCode

Paul Hibbert paul at livecode.org
Tue Mar 3 13:44:24 EST 2015

> On Mar 3, 2015, at 7:13 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>
> So all that said, we might consider what you're seeing to be a bug.

I think another big issue here is the lack of up-to-date documentation, and this helps to illustrate the depth of this problem.

According to the dictionary 'sharedBehavior' was introduced in LC 4.6.4, but it doesn't even appear in the current user guide at all, whereas 'backgroundBehavior' is mentioned multiple times in paragraphs about the message path and groups.

There is no mention of 'sharedBehavior' in the LC Lessons on-line, but there is a tutorial covering 'backgroundBehavior'. The only places to learn about 'sharedBehavior' seems to be the Dictionary or when post like this show up on this list, or the 6 entries for 'sharedBehavior' in the forums.

I appreciate that some things do fall through the cracks from time to time, but the cracks in LC documentation are growing wider with every new release.

I am a huge LC fan, but to me this is probably the biggest failing of RR and we see it crop up over and over again, I think many of the questions on this list and the forums could be addressed with good quality documentation, and I'm sure that it would also reduce the stress on RR support, not to mention improving the LC user experience, especially for new LC users.

Personally, I wish RR would use some of the crowdfunding money to employ a good technical writer to work alongside the software engineers, the current user guide (LC7.0.3) is revision 19 (2010.11.09), that's well over 4 years out-of-date, how many entries are really missing? Now I think I understand why RR dropped it from the LC Help menu for a while, but the fact that the users wanted it re-instating should tell them how important it really is.

Just my 2¢.

Paul