Cyclomatic complexity

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jun 7 12:08:43 EDT 2015

Skip wrote:

 >> Richard wrote:
 >>
 >> Here's that thrown-together result:
 >> <http://fourthworld.net/lc/4w-projprofiler.png>
 >
 > I think there might be several people interested in your stack,
 > if you are willing to share :)

Very - whenever I post a screen shot of a tool I'm working on the
intention is to make that tool available once it's been sufficiently
debugged and "productized".

As Steven McConnell reminds us in his book "Code Complete", the
difference in level of effort between a personal tool and a product can
be an order of magnitude, because "with a tool it need only be possible
to use it correctly, but with a product it should be impossible to use
it incorrectly".

My inclination is to give tools and code away at no cost, and sometimes
even under GPL or other open source licenses when they're a good fit for
the project's goals, so folks can use them and share them easily.

Despite my inclinations, however, my accountant reminds me I'm not
getting any younger, and that I need to remain mindful of little things
down the road like retirement.

Like most of us, I toss together ad hoc solutions to help with whatever
I need to do in my professional work, and now and then things are either
so trivial that they don't require much polishing to be worth sharing
(e.g. gZipper and DeskView), or are so necessary to my professional work
that they're already at least polished enough for others to use (e.g.
devolution and Flight Recorder).

But other things require a bit of work to turn them from something
useful only to me into something that can benefit others as well.

Looking at the GBs of PBIs (Partly-Baked Ideas) on my hard drives I
realize some of those would be useful to share - if I can find a way to
make the time for that away from client work.

I've considered various forms of crowd-funding, but for small things
like dev tools it's often more work to set up a campaign and manage it
within Kickstarter or even IndieGoGo than to just finish the tool itself.

So while I'm focused right now on meeting some hefty client deadlines, I
wanted to at least confirm that yes, the code base analysis tool and
others will become available at first opportunity (devolution 4.0 is
very close to testable release), and to let you know I'm considering a
donation-based system to gauge the community's interest in these sorts
of things.

I'm open to other ideas, but at the moment donations seem a good balance
of flexibility for both myself and anyone interested in the tools.

There will likely be multiple donation levels to choose from, so if you
want email support that would be available at a certain minimum, and
other incentives for higher amounts, yet still allow a gratis option for
those who may not yet have income streams the tools contribute to.

There are risks with any model, and I don't expect any donations from
dev tools to do as much for my retirement as consumer apps do.  But
every little bit helps so that's my intention at the moment, unless
someone here has a better idea for both making more money to keep such
efforts viable while also making the tools very easily available for
anyone who can benefit from them.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems