LiveCode and SQLite performace

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Wed Jul 22 17:11:47 EDT 2015

Hi Michael,
Out of interest, when you say it takes a long time to open the database,
how long do you mean?

Also, where is the database located?  On your Mac's hard drive, external
drive, on a network?

I'm a bit confused as to the number of records.  Your original email said
600,000+ records, but you mentioned that the ID field (which is defined as
unique) has values from 1 to 60400.  Maybe a type somewhere?

You'll see auto indexes for any columns that are defined as UNIQUE, that's
how sqlite enforces that constraint.

Don't worry about indexes for now.  They on;y help if you are having
problems with how long it takes to execute your select commands and this
problem is occurring long before then.

PRAGMAs are just another type of sqlite statement. After opening your
database, do this:

put revDataFromQuery(,,gDBID,"PRAGMA integrity_check)) into tResult
put tResult

gDBID is just the variable with your connection ID in it so replace it with
your variable name.

The message box will open and you'll see the output from the PRAGMA
command.  It it begins with "revdberr",Livecode detected an error with the
statement for some reason.  If the PRAGMA does not find any error it
returns OK.  Anything else, there's corruption in your database.

Let me know the result of the integrity check and we'll go from there.