Unicode

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Jan 27 16:45:27 EST 2015

On Jan 27, 2015, at 2:03 PM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:

> Another quick question Devin.  Pre 7, you have to address the unicodeText
> property of an object to do this.
>
> ]If I have a variable/custom property whose contents are unidecoded, how
> can I uniencode it into another variable since it has no unicodeText
> property?  Seems like I would need a hidden filed to act as an intermediary.
>
> Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and use LC 7 for this project since it
> doesn't need to address the unicodeText property.  This for making my
> SQLiteAdmin program unicode capable.

The way I ended up handling this most of the time in pre-7 was to store the unicode text in a custom property of the object, either as UTF-8 encoded text, or as HTML text. Neither of those approaches suffers from problems with endianness. It is true that for these approaches you often need to process the text through an intermediary text field.

LC 7 really is a wonder in terms of how seamless it has made using Unicode in the interface. It came with the slight cost of making text I/O a bit more complicated.

devin

Devin Asay
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University