Sticky Popup Menu?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 7 14:05:34 EST 2015

Scott Rossi wrote:

 > On Jan 6, 2015, at 5:17 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> I've had good luck with borderless palette windows, not using the
 >> popup command at all but simply opening them.  I trap escapeKey
 >> to dismiss them, and close them on suspendStack so clicking
 >> anywhere outside of them dismisses them like a menu does.
 >
 > Thanks for this suggestion.  This was surprisingly easy to get
 > working, using a global variable to track when a selection is made.
 > The one drawback is, when launched, the palette menu changes window
 > focus from the main stack, which functionally not a big deal, but
 > visually changes the appearance of the titlebar of the main stack.

In my case this issue was obviated by virtue of the stack that opens
these flyout panels being a customized borderless palette:

<http://www.fourthworld.net/lc/devo3-mpath.png>

I needed that for other reasons (not the least of which is Cocoa's
insistence on including all window buttons even when they're disabled,
making the title area unnecessarily small and pushed off-center), but I
was was happy to discover that it also works nicely with the flyouts
since the OS doesn't alter the appearance of the custom drag region.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems