Licensing

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 7 01:16:56 EST 2015

Peter Haworth wrote:

 > I don't mind opening up the source code but I'm not prepared
 > to allow it to be given to anyone a user chooses free of charge.
 > I understand that practically I can't stop that happening but I
 > want to at least expressly forbid it in the license agreement.

One of the many interesting things the GPL has given us is an
opportunity to consider redefinitions of value.

A proprietary license with a fee requirement certainly has some monetary
value, but how much?

After all, as you noted, those inclined to share it with their friends
will do so anyway, they'll just be either secretive about it or worse
not use it at all if they can't afford the fee.

Schools are one of many scenarios I consider with projects where the GPL
is an option.  Few schools have enough money, and many spend what little
they have in suboptimal ways, leaving little for even great software of
the sort you make.  So they just do without.

But we might ask:  what is currency?

Is it worth more to have a small amount of cash or a large amount of
gratitude (e.g., good press, donations, and even potential contracting
opportunities)?

I don't have an answer; I don't think there is a single answer for all
projects.

I just think it's interesting to ponder, esp. in the domain of developer
tools since developers are the only group of people who can make full
use of open source's most useful feature: the source.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems