Question re project organization

William Prothero prothero at earthednet.org
Sat Feb 7 00:46:05 EST 2015

Kay:
Thanks for offering your expertise. What I’m thinking is to have a main application stack. then the user will be able to add stacks to enhance the software. I’m thinking of a mySQL database that is queried, that lists available enhancements and their location. The user would get a menu of enhancements and choosing one or more would download and connect them into the main application. I’m thinking the main app will be the “engine” that supports peripheral activities. It’s an educational app, so various activities, writing exercises, challenges, explanations and videos, etc would be added. The way the program develops will depend on feedback from teachers and what they will actually use.

Is this practical in the iOS style of app? I’m really tired of rewriting my software for new authoring systems and would like to get this right. From what I understand, Apple will not let you write apps that download code that they haven’t approved of. Is there a way I could accomplish what I want, within the current iOS rules, which will probably eventually be applied to the desktop too? In fact, will Apple allow the app to connect to my mySQL database for configurations and content downloads? I guess I should spend some time going over Apple’s documentation on this.

Best,
Bill