Take a look back through 2015

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Dec 19 14:25:19 EST 2015

On 12/19/2015 11:12 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> What opportunities do you see for streamlining file I/O?

Looking at the file access benchmarks, there's a significant difference
between LC6.7.8 and LC7/8.

Test_FileBinRead: 1,14,14
Test_FileBinWrite: 2,80,78
Test_FileTextRead: 1,156,77
Test_FileTextWrite: 2,96,94

I haven't looked at that section of the engine code recently, and I've
got my own problems trying to build from source anymore, but it seems
obvious that some optimization need to be applied to the routines. I
have no doubt that the almost-two-orders-of-magnitude difference is due
to unicode translation.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com