Licensing issues [was: Re: LC 8 DP 11]

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sat Dec 19 07:39:35 EST 2015

On 2015-12-18 18:38, sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de wrote:
> There we have two different views on this problem from two members of
> the Livecode team, and I am inclined to judge that Mark is fully right
> here.

No, there are not two different views - mine was not a view, it was a
statement of fact which corrected Peter (who may not have realized you
were talking about an old-style perpetual license).

Both your questions are clearly answered in the license agreement:

Section 1.d states:

1d) The Licensed Edition may be used exclusively by You on a reasonable
number of machines and platforms You may have for Your own exclusive use
and may not be transferred to, or loaned to, or used by another entity
at any time or for any purpose.

(This is also clearly answered in the question 'Can I install LiveCode
on more than one computer?' on the page
https://livecode.com/products/livecode-platform/pricing/ which you
referenced yourself).

Section 1.e states:

e) If the Licensed Edition has been purchased on a subscription basis it
may only be used while your subscription is current. During the
subscription term we will provide updates to the Licensed Edition free
of charge. At the end of the term access to the Licensed Edition will
cease unless You renew Your subscription. If he Licensed Edition has
been purchased on a perpetual license basis then the version(s) for
which You purchased a perpetual license may continue to be used past the
end of any subscription term.

As your current (perpetual-style) license expires in August 2016, you
have access to a perpetual version of all versions released (whether
they be gm, rc or dp) up until that date.

I can only assume your sudden concern about your license and
entitlements is related to your recent installation and licensing
issues. However, I can assure you that they are entirely unrelated. We
are still investigating a couple of issues in this area, but have yet
got enough data to be able to determine what the problem might be.

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps