LC 8 DP 11

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Fri Dec 11 17:46:04 EST 2015

On 2015-12-11 23:30, sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de wrote:
> Livecode 8 DP 11 apparently cannot be installed on Windows 7/ 32 .
>
> I tried an installation twice, both times the installation stopped
> (was not completed) after clicking the "Finish"-button, even after the
> first installation attempt I had deleted the previous DP 11 version
> from my machine.
>
> This never happened with the previous versions DP 1 through 10,
> although all kinds of crashes occurred with these prior LC 8 versions
> along with a lot of strange behaviors - apparently caused by newly
> introduced bugs.
>
> It would be a good idea for the Livecode team to really begin an
> organized development process (following established rules and
> practices of professional software development) including with proper
> testing of old and new features before releasing new versions.

Hi Sanke,

In the core dev team, we use our test lab to test every installer we
release on a wide range of operating systems in various different
configurations.  Needless to say, there is far more variation in system
configurations in use than anyone without Google or Microsoft's
resources can possibly hope to cover.  The size of the LiveCode user
base is such that *every* release, there will be at least one user who
will have installation problems.  This is a fact of life.

All LiveCode development is done in the open on GitHub, so you can go
and look at the LiveCode development process yourself.  If you had done
so, you would have seen that there is an increasingly-comprehensive
feature and regression test suite which is run against every single code
change that's proposed, and no matter who proposes a change, it must
undergo code review and pass the testing process before it can go into
the main codebase, let alone into a release.  Nevertheless, with new
features come new bugs, and this is also a fact of life.

The DP in "8.0.0 DP 11" stands for "Developer Preview", and the release
notes very clearly state that it is an unstable release and is likely to
have horrible bugs.  If you want a stable release, please use LiveCode
6.7 or LiveCode 7.x.

                                                    Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>