Invalid host address

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Dec 5 11:51:31 EST 2015

On 12/04/2015 11:22 PM, Dan Friedman wrote:
> I have a standalone that is getting "invalid host address" on every WindowsXP computers at a client's site.   From what we can tell, the XP machine logs into a domain (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx).  Using WireShark, we observed that making a request in LC (our standalone) to our server, DNS lookup changed to the domain (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx).  DNS Failed... it returns "invalid host address".   Same code on a standalone from 5.5.1 work fine.  Fails on 7.0.1.
>
> The DNS query is overwritten and incorrect from the requested domain.  The domain matches the login of the host computer.  The url is correctly returned if using a standalone from LC 5.5.1, but is not correct with 7.0.1.
>
> On a clean install of Windows XP, and with the computer part of a workgroup and not logging into a domain, 7.0.1 is working ok
>
> Any thoughts?

Don't know, but I'd trust WireShark over any other indicator. If it
weren't for the fact that 5.5.1 works properly I'd tend to suspect a
misconfigured router or a mitm dns attack. But I should point out that
the 7.0.1 release was a year ago, so you might try building with a more
recent version and see what happens.

Also, since this works with a virgin install of xp, you might check the
hosts file on the other computers to look for anomalies there.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com