An idea for the project browser

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Dec 2 20:13:16 EST 2015

I'm sticking with the App Browser until it kicks the bucket (and I hope
that's never.) But here's one idea that might help me use the PB more often:

Put a breadcrumb trail at the top, just above the scrolling list. It
would always give the path to the selected object:

   stack "myStack"/card "thisCard"/group "myGroup"/button "Click Me"

Then I know where I am when the identifying header scrolls off the top.
Clicking on any part of the breadcrumb trail would scroll the list to
display that control (just scroll; no further action.) Double-clicking
any part of the trail would not only scroll there, but select the
object, update the breadcrumbs, and navigate to the control in the stack
itself.

Then add the ability to use the contextual menu on any control under the
mouse, without actually selecting the object. I.e., point to a field and
right-click to open its inspector or its script, or copy it, delete it, etc.

This would have these benefits:

1. I always know where I am in the map
2. I can navigate quickly to any part of the trail without scrolling
3. I can act on objects that aren't selected without leaving the current
card
4. I can click on the last control in the trail to scroll back where I was

This doesn't show me the whole stack structure in the way the AB does,
but it would solve some of the other limitations.

Comments welcome, I haven't throught through all the implications yet.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com