Documentation [was: Re: v8 DP3]

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Thu Aug 27 15:33:30 EDT 2015

On 2015-08-27 08:12, Richmond wrote:
> On 08/27/2015 09:59 AM, Charles Warwick wrote:
>>> /I thought I'd just open up my text file using my //*external text
>>> editor*//(at which point one //
>>> //     starts to wonder what the point of the Builder is)/
>>>
>>> Both of those require questions, and at the risk of being a bore,
>>> I'll reiterate them:
>>>
>>> 1. Why should there be recourse to an external text editor????
>>>
>>> 2.  What is the point of the Builder if one cannot type code into
>>> it????
>>>
>> LCB code needs to be “compiled”, that is the purpose of the builder as
>> per Peter’s comment:
>>
>> "The "Extension Builder" tool is used for compiling and packaging
>> extensions."
>>

> Aha.
>
> Well then the Documentation is awful as it makes none of these things
> clear.

Hi Richmond,

The documentation is just as free and open source as the rest of the
LiveCode IDE.  You can find it in our git repository here:

https://github.com/runrev/livecode-ide/tree/develop/Documentation/guides

Since it's so desperately in need of improvement, and you have such a
good idea of how it can be made better, perhaps you could help out?
When you've already got a detailed knowledge of a topic, it's often very
difficult to explain it in a way that's accessible to people who are new
to it.  Having "fresh eyes" is often enormously helpful in improving the
quality and structure of introductory materials!

Please let me know how I can help you get set up for using GitHub and
making LiveCode better.  There's a brief guide to our workflow here:
https://github.com/runrev/livecode/blob/develop/HACKING.md#using-github
(but this, too, could probably benefit with some fleshing-out).

                                Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>
LiveCode Engine Development Team