Script Editor future (was Open Source Kickstarter Report Card)

RunRevPlanet feed at smpcsupport.com
Thu Aug 27 03:49:03 EDT 2015

Kay C Lan said:

 > take the smart route and build adequate
 > text handling into their products but allow
 > integration with the industry leaders.

One of the promoted strengths of LiveCode is that it is "live coding". In other
words I can make a change in my script and immediately see the effect.

Now while I understand the virtues of using the external text editor of your
choice. With your example of XCode and an external editor, is it possible to set
breakpoints and single step through the code in your preferred external editor?

When debugging in the live coding environment which is LiveCode I expect to be
able single step through *and* edit my code in the one place with more than the
current rudimentary facilities. While I give Geany as an example cause I like
it, it is known as a very light-weight IDE, so it is not a totally unreasonable
starting point for the minimum of what an adequate editor should be capable of.

By all means allow external editors, but my point is the current LiveCode IDE
Script Editor is *not even adequate* and having external plugin editors doesn't
fully work around the usability issues.
--
Scott McDonald
"Components, Controls, Tools and Resources for LiveCode"