Open Source Kickstarter Report Card

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Mon Aug 17 22:37:19 EDT 2015

> On 18 Aug 2015, at 11:50 am, Ralph DiMola <rdimola at evergreeninfo.net> wrote:
>
> How hard can it be to add pdf support to open-source?
>
> I read the PDF spec and got a headache on the 3 page. I know that PDFium is
> doing the heavy lifting but the PDF spec is nasty. Add bookmarks, PDF fields
> and java into the mix and can get ugly fast.

Indeed it really depends on how much of the PDF spec you want to support. If it’s just rendering the PDF to a widget (which is the simplest use case) it should be quite easy because PDFium will render an image for a page at a given size which can just be shown in the widget. Not hard at all. Text selection etc gets a bit more complicated bit overall it will all be much simpler in a widget than the Windows & OS X external I’m maintaining at the moment. PDFium BTW is the PDF rendering library from Chromium and an open source version of FoxIT SDK.