iCalendar [.ics file] Open Source Lib for LiveCode

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 14 20:17:24 EDT 2015

Alex Tweedly wrote:

 > I primarily developed it for one project, which was successful
 > enough, but had no need to develop it any further. Without either
 > beta testers or any on-going use by myself, it didn't seem quite
 > ready for release (clearly not as a commercial project), so it's
 > just been sitting on the shelf.
 >
 > I'd be happy to contribute it under some GPL license (so long as that
 > lets me retain rights to use it (the orginal) in commercial products
 > if I ever choose to), and to participate in any on-going project that
 > develops. Let me know if there is any interest in that (either here
 > on the list, or by direct email - I rarely get time to look at the
 > forums).

Just about anything other than explicit transfer to the public domain
retains your copyright as the creator of the work.

While I think the GPL is a very good fit for projects where sharing is a
goal, it does prohibit use within proprietary works.

Use within proprietary works could be supported by allowing users to
choose to obtain it under a separate proprietary license, perhaps even
for a fee, as LiveCode does.

And there's also the LGPL for components which allow certain usage
within proprietary works, or other licenses considered GPL-compatible
like Apache v2 and X11.   If you have time on your hands, the Free
Software Foundation has a list of popular licenses noting their
compatibility with GPL v3, which LiveCode Community uses:
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager