Stacks and livecode server?

Mark Wilcox mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 04:34:26 EDT 2015

> I wish Apple's rules were clearer on this so we could end the confusion
> without our community.

Obviously Apple has nothing to say specifically about stacks (a bit too
niche) but I think the rules are quite clear. Previously you could not
download executable code of any kind unless it was JavaScript downloaded
by a WebView. There's then a separate requirement not to significantly
change the functionality of the app, which applies whether you are
downloading code or not (e.g. something very different cannot be in the
original code but not activated until some later time or after checking
a certain value on a server).

More recently Apple has added the option to download JavaScript to their
JavaScriptCore engine, which they exposed a new interface to in iOS7.
The reason that Apple give to only allow code downloading to their
JavaScript runtimes is security. I think they're much less concerned
about what an individual app might do (they can pull it from the store
and even remotely remove it from devices) but rather what might happen
if a vulnerability was exploited in a widely deployed third party
runtime.

> AFAIK they have no prohibition on downloading binary files, so stack
> files that contain media but no code, or even behavior-driven stack
> files that contain no code themselves, would reasonably seem to fit the
> narrowest definition of their TOS.

Yes, you can download bundles of content with no code. The file format
doesn't matter. Unity has asset bundles that can contain code on other
platforms but are content only on iOS. I'm not sure if a stack has
significant advantages over some other format here but I don't see why
you shouldn't.

> But they might even allow stack files that contain code, providing the
> code doesn't substantially alter the features of the app.

That's certainly against the letter of the rules as they stand. Of
course Apple can't really know what every app with every possible 3rd
party runtime is doing, so you may well get away with it. Who wants to
risk getting booted out of the developer program though?

Mark

--
  Mark Wilcox
  mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk