LiveCode Commercial License

JB sundown at pacifier.com
Fri Sep 19 00:45:11 EDT 2014

Hi Kay,

The minute you use the computers they
have already lost value no matter what
brand you bought.

Here is another business example that
would show you a reason for concern.
You are a general contractor and build
houses for a living.  Your business is
using a tool called a hammer.  In the
past you would go to the hardware
store and buy a hammer as needed.
Suddenly you learn you need to sign
up for a subscription to buy another
hammer and if the company making
the hammer goes out of business you
are not allowed to use the hammer any
more.  Your company depended on this
hammer and to use another hammer is
like starting over from the beginning.

Of course in the real world a hammer is
readily available and your company does
not need to use a certain hammer.  So if
you could own the hammer and use it after
the company went out of business that was
making your hammer would you feel better
about using that hammer or would you feel
better knowing at anytime after a notice is
given you have at the most 1 year to use
the tools your company depends on?

I am not attacking LIveCode but I think most
people would like to be protected by knowing
they can continue to use the tools they built
their business on if something happens to the
other business.

LiveCode could solve this problem and assure
people they will not lose the tools they depend
on by adding to the license that if LiveCode is
sold or goes out of business anyone who has
a valid license within that year can continue to
use the program to develop commercially.  But
then again they could just price it so high that
nobody would purchase it and then once again
you do not get to use the software you depend
on for your business.

That is the only major problem I see with how
LiveCode is marketing the software.  Other than
that the prices seem to be fair and I hope they do
not ever have a problem.

A better thing to discuss is when will LiveCode be
releasing the version that Kevin recently posted a
video where he talked about extensions and Swift.
He mentioned they will be able to program LiveCode
with LIveCode.  This sounds really interesting to me.
If you have not watched the video Richard Gaskin
posted a link to it and it is very interesting.

John Balgenorth