HyperCard Basics

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 17 18:01:14 EDT 2014

Richmond wrote:

 > Sorting Cards
 >
 > The Sort by Name command in the Utilities menu lets you arrange cards
 > alphabetically by either
 > first or last name.
 > I wonder how one does that in Livecode?

See the sort command in the Dictionary.

 > Searching for text
 >
 > 1. Choose Find from the Go menu.
 > I wonder how one does that in Livecode?

See the Find item in the Edit menu.

 > The Recent command
 >
 > AS you go from card to card and stack to stack, HyperCard
 > automatically keeps a record of where you've been. The Recent
 > command in the Go menu shows (in miniature) the card you
 > have looked at, up to the last 42.

 > I wonder how one does that in Livecode?
 >
 > Certainly View/Recent does not do that.

LiveCode maintains a list of recent cards; if you need thumbnails of
those you can create a dialog that uses the import snapshot command to
populate it from the recentCards.

LiveCode is not HyperCard, nor it is SuperCard, nor OMO, nor Gain.
Attempting to use materials written for other programs to learn LiveCode
will likely be more frustrating that just using the materials written
for LiveCode.

That said, it might be a fun exercise to build HyperCard in LiveCode,
smaller object model, B&W graphics, limit groups, and all.

FWIW, some time ago I wrote an article titled "The True Power of
HyperCard", which includes a list of some of the differences:
<http://livecodejournal.com/features/the-true-power-of-hypercard.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems