Relative Scrolling Performance in different development environments

Terence Heaford t.heaford at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 25 03:39:03 EDT 2014

I have produced some very rough figures for scrolling in LC for different releases.

Each table consists of 8 columns and 20 rows.

There are approx. 2000 records supplied from an SQLite DB.

Each measurement is the time taken in seconds to scroll from top to bottom of the data.

I have used 3 methods.

Method 1 is a DataGrid where the data is provided by the GetDataForLine function.

Method 2 is a DataGrid where the data is provided by the set the dgText method

Method 3 is a Basic Table Field.

The time taken is simply by visual observation of the seconds counter in the top right corner of the mac screen.

6.7RC2,(M1 = 8),(M2 = 8),(M3 = 7)

6.7RC3,(M1 = 10),(M2 = 8),(M3 = 7)

6.7,(M1 = 10),(M2 = 8),(M3 = 7)

7.0,(M1 = 12),(M2 = 11),(M3 = 8)

For some comparison against other development environments using M2 type method:

Cocoa/ObjC,(M2 =4)

Xojo,(M2 = 5)

SuperCard,(M2 = 5) (using the ListMaster external)

It is clear that LC’s performance in this area has some way to go when compared to other development environments.

I am sure my data handling could be improved but these are my objective best shots in each environment.

All the best

Terry