3 questions about your coding habits

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 13:47:20 EDT 2014

On 16/10/14 06:22, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> 1. When you're working on stack files, do you always keep them
> somewhere in your Home folder, or run with admin privileges and keep
> them somewhere else (e.g. Applications)?

I keep all my stacks in a folder called 'xCode' and its subfolders, on
the desktop.

> 2. Do you regularly switch among different OSes, and if so how do you
> sync your files (drag-and-drop, rsync, OwnCloud, or something else),
> or do you bypass syncing altogether by mounting a shared volume?

I use Linux (Ubuntu Studio) about 95% of the time, I use Mac OS 10.5.8
and Mac OS 10.4.11 about 4% of the time on an iMac G5, and Mac OS 9.1
about 1% of the time on an iMac G3.

Very, very occasionally I use Windows XP and 7 via VMware Player (on
Ubuntu Studio) to check standalones.

Occasionally I use Mac OS 10.6 and Mac OS 10.8 via VMware Player to
check standalones.

> 3. If you do sync among multiple OSes, do you maintain the same paths
> to your stack files on each system relative to your home folder?
> e.g.
> Mac:
> /Users/rg/SomeProject/MyStack.livecode
> Linux:
> /home/rg/SomeProject/MyStack.livecode

No, I don't.

> If the latter, then specialFolderPath("home") works as a way of
> storing relative paths for multi-OS workflows in a tool I'm working
> on....

Richmond.