Programming LiveCode with LiveCode

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Oct 16 14:15:37 EDT 2014

Jim Lambert wrote:

 > Larry wrote:
 >
 >> I am of the opinion that all of the platform/device specific
 >> approach to software is going the way of the dinosaur.
 >
 > That may be true with desktop software, but I respectfully disagree
 > when it comes to mobile.
 >
 > There’s ever-growing fragmentation on Android, sometimes the
 > developer must adapt to handset manufactures' & carriers'
 > idiosyncratic variations of the OS/UI, form factors and unique
 > features.

Sometimes perhaps, but how often?

Sure, journalists write all sorts of things to get page views (how many
times do we see overblown stories of iOS malware only to find out it's
only on jailbroken phones and only available through obscure third-party
sites in China or Russia? <g>).

The latest of these was from Open Signal, complete with a jarringly
colorful chart of the hardware diversity in the Android ecosystem:
<http://opensignal.com/reports/2014/android-fragmentation/>

But once we go beyond skimming the headline and glancing at the
pictures, we find this in the report - something most of the lay press
missed when they cited it:

    ...fragmentation benefits Android much more than it hurts it.
    Android is now the dominant mobile operating system and this
    is because of fragmentation, not in spite of it.

One man's "fragmentation" is another man's "diversity".

Among end-users, the only people I've ever heard complain about Android
fragmentation own iPhones.

I've never heard any Android user lament, "Man, I wish I could get the
cool app all my friends are using, but it just isn't available for my
phone."

Larry's point is well supported by a review of the Top Apps lists at
both stores - here's the Free and Paid lists for each:

<http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/free-apps/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/topselling_free>
<http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/paid-apps/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/topselling_paid>

With relatively few exceptions, they're almost the same lists.

I think it's a safe bet to suggest that a solid majority of devs making
money in mobile are doing it on both platforms.

 > Then there are Apple's new and tempting backend solutions, like
 > CloudKit, which provide a seamless experience for both users and
 > developers.
 > But they are clearly iOS only solutions. Leading to developer lock in.

CloudKit is indeed nice, but so are the new Google Drive APIs:
<http://appdevelopermagazine.com/1910/2014/9/17/Updated-Google-Play-SDK-Provides-App-Developers-with-Enhancements-to-Analytics,-Drive-and-Fit/>

With Open Language, we'll be able to wrap those even more easily than
the majority of successful devs who implement both in their apps using C.

 > IMO, the LiveCode is very nicely evolving to deal with this
 > continuing differentiation of devices and OS ecosystems.

Fully agreed there.  As hardware and OS capabilities for both platforms
continue to diversify, all we need to do is just what we've always done:
  pick the lowest common OS version our app actually needs, and unless
we absolutely need something specific to a given phone model or OS
version we'll get more than 90% of each platform.

The only point where I differ from Larry is in his faith in the browser
as a platform.  While it's technically quite feasible at least
potentially (Firefox OS demonstrates this in spades), it's not in an OS
vendor's interests to ship with a browser powerful enough to liberate
developers from relying on vendor-specific APIs.

There are many categories of apps that can be well suited in a browser,
bit it's rare to find one that performs as well or is a capable as its
native counterpart.

Then again, maybe Larry's just ahead of his time:
<http://www.sencha.com/blog/the-making-of-fastbook-an-html5-love-story>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems