Can standalones give users the same Text formatting menu as in IDE?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Nov 22 10:42:36 EST 2014

Tom Bodine wrote:
 > Actually, I have Curry's FieldTrip tool, but it does not utilize
 > the LC 7 unicode field. I believe the embedded field it uses is
 > from LC 5.5. Since the tool is password protected, I can't just
 > update the field.

LiveCode has one field object.  It's not possible to use the field
object of an older version while running a newer version.  Whatever
field properties and messages are available in a given engine version
are available to any field run in that version.

 > FieldTrip adds some other complications to my project. So I was
 > hoping to keep it simple with a formatting menu script and keyboard
 > shortcuts.

Curry does great work, but for something this common it should be
relatively easy to implement - if not, LiveCode has failed in its
mission and we'd need some language extensions to make it easier.

A few versions back (5.5.4 IIRC) the engine team added a means of
toggling text styles, which make implementing things like a Style menu
much simpler.  In the past we have to examine the textStyle of the
selection and hope it was "mixed" in order to know who to update our
menu and apply or remove the style selected by the user.  But today
textStyles can be set in a Boolean fashion individually:

   set the textStyle["bold"] of the selectedChunk to \
     (not the textStyle["bold"] of the selectedChunk

Additionally, in older versions changing the textFont or textSize reset
both, but now all text attributes are managed separately.

What challenges have you run into making your text menus?  I'll bet we
can help put that together with relative ease, or perhaps identify
usability issues in the language that could use refinement.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems