Stack Menu Mystery - Disappointing Documentation (Long, sorry)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Nov 22 10:33:04 EST 2014

Graham Samuel wrote:
 > I’ve been using LC for a long time but I’ve never used a stack menu. ...
 > I don’t know how I can use this to make the stack menu ‘look like a
 > standard menu’

You can't.

Stack menus were originally the only way to make menus in MetaCard, fine
for when it only ran under Motif in Unix but quickly became both
tiresome to create and often with an appearance that didn't match other
HIGs.

Dr. Raney remedied the issue in the mid-90s by create the menu subclass
of buttons, so we now have pulldowns, popups, and other common menu
types that more closely match user expectations on supported platforms.

On OS X, the contents of menu buttons are rendered using OS routines so
they look and behave like standard menus.  I hope to see the same on
Ubuntu once we get Themes.

Now that we have the menu subclass for buttons, the only time using
stacks as menus are useful today is for non-textual menus, like popup
galleries, color pickers, etc.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems