This'll make you tear your hair out by the roots

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 13:59:23 EST 2014

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Microsoft has patched a critical bug in its software that had existed for
> 19 years.

Well, the footnote text placement bug lasted *at least* 15 years.

It was there in Word 1.0 (mac) and I had students bringing me printouts
exhibiting it in whatever was current during the 1999-2000 academic year.

(I forget the exact details, but it was something to the effect of when a
calculated footnote would go past the pagebreak, *way* to much whitespace
[8 or 9 inches] would get added to the previous line to land the text with
the note marker onto the next page. [the correct behavior is actually to
split the note, to roll the single line to the next page])

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462