7.0.0 dp 5

Fraser Gordon fraser.gordon at runrev.com
Tue May 27 05:56:08 EDT 2014

On 26 May 2014, at 18:12, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:

> Fraser-
>
> Monday, May 26, 2014, 3:55:29 AM, you wrote:
>
>> DP4 and DP5 have been officially released.
>
> Is that you speaking in an official capacity or just noting the fact?

Both DP4 and DP5 were released on Friday the 23rd of May. DP4 was released at (approximately) 10am BST and DP5 at 6pm BST. The release of DP4 was announced by Ben in his morning Q&A session and DP5 by Kevin in the evening Q&A session. The emails have been held up though (more info below).

>> The downloads web page doesn't show any versions which we haven't
>> deliberately made publicly available.
>
> The release notes for dp5 show all the dp4 changes as being new for
> the dp5 release, and no mention of dp4. Was dp4 ever "released"?

DP4 was definitely released; just on the same day as DP5. We had originally planned to release it earlier in the week but there were a few serious bugs that our internal testing caught before release. The DP5 release was made after a day of bugfixing for the Global Jam in order to get the new fixes out to people as soon as possible.

The release notes lacking DP4 was my fault - the release notes builder uses the version tags on github to generate the sections and I'd forgotten to push the 7.0.0-dp-4 tag from my local repo to github. I've now re-uploaded the release notes PDF.

>> Unfortunately, we've been finding that the release emails
>> themselves sometimes get swallowed by the mailing list software
>
> As I noted, every previous version has been accompanied by a release
> announcement email which went out through the list, I have them
> archived locally, and they are in the mail list archives. Was there
> actually a release email for dp4? dp5? And somehow the mailing list
> software swallowed it while all the previous ones got through?

Apparently, our release emails look quite spammy (I suspect it is the sheer length of the LiveCode 7 bugfix list) and get held in a queue for moderation. Like I said, the list software is rebelling… The appropriate people have been prodded so the emails should reach the list eventually. This is also the reason that there can be a time delta between the announcements appearing on each list. I've also noticed that it depends on who sends out the email; Ben seems to have better luck with them than any of the rest of us!

Regards,
Fraser