noob array question

Igor de Oliveira Couto igor at semperuna.com
Wed May 14 20:49:32 EDT 2014

On 15 May 2014, at 10:32 am, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Igor de Oliveira Couto wrote:
>
>> A while ago I wrote a JSON parser in LiveCode. The *very heavily commented* code can be found here:
>>
>> https://github.com/luxlogica/easyjson
>
> Thanks for that, Igor.
>
> I'd check it myself but it seems I can't reach GitHub today (I can ping it, but all web URLs just time out),

I hope this is a temporary glitch. It you'd like to access the code before this is sorted, send me an email, and I'll send you the file off-list.

> so I'll ask here:
>
> What license did you use for that?
>

> Going forward I'm hoping that more community contributions will have some explicit declaration of the license, even if it's just public domain, so users of both Commercial and Community editions can know with confidence which code they can use in their projects.

Indeed - this is an important legal point that is often overlooked.

I released the code quite specifically in the public domain - there is an accompanying 'License' declaration, with a disclaimer. The code can be used freely, adapted and altered, for any purpose - as long as you don't blame me for anything if something goes wrong! ;-)

Apart from believing that providing an explicit license is important, I also believe that people should provide credit when they are "standing on the shoulders of giants". I also acknowledge explicitly that the code is based on ideas and concepts of others that came before me (mentioning them by name), and also suggest that there may be other current libs available that may be faster, more efficient, or better suited to your project - and refer people to check these out.

With the advent of 7.0, I think that quite a bit of that code will have to be changed - because of the new unicode handling capabilities of LC - so it will be up for a review at some stage in the near future. It would be nice if anyone wanted to contribute a little time to upgrade the code to LC7.0 for me...

--
Igor Couto
Sydney, Australia