Error Messages Are Evil

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun May 11 21:04:28 EDT 2014

Long ago, deep in a previous century, I set up a Cromemco or MITS Altair for my secretary to do some word processing while I was out.

When I came back, she was in tears.  The computer told her, “Invalid!  Jump to!”

I looked at the screen.  At the bottom was the line “Invalid jump to 0000.”

I hadn’t emphasized that programs crash and what the crash might look like.  I had neglected to say that if something goes wrong is was unlikely to be her fault.

We have come a long way, computers and I.

Dar