Learning about server

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 10 11:49:03 EDT 2014

Dar wrote:
 > My immediate need would not be a way to deliver web content, but just
 > as a way to make a console application on Windows.  But, I can see
 > the former in my future.

There are so many useful and interesting things to do with LiveCode
Server, and even standalones on servers, it's almost overwhelming.

These days a majority of the work I do is making client-server apps
where LiveCode runs both sides.  I currently have only one site where LC
is used to generate output for the Web - everything else is either APIs
for other services, or the backend for LC-based clients used in
workgroup settings.

Given the wide range of ways LC is useful on servers, with all due
respect to the ambitions of those interested in writing a book on it, it
would be a big one.

Last month I outlined my plans for the LiveCode Server Center, in the
works for LiveCode Journal now that I finally put a CMS in place there
(and of course the CMS is made with LiveCode, all the way down to the
data store):
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2014-May/201516.html>

As I wrote then, I don't mean to discourage anyone from writing a book,
and indeed there is likely a good audience for it.

But given the scope of what LC Server can do, and the many other aspects
that come into play with using it well (the critical role of performance
in the inherently-short CGI runtime lifecycle, how mod_rewrite works,
SSH keys, bash, rsync, custom servers like looping CLI daemons and
simpler GUI apps, REST API design, and more), it would be nice if there
were also a community-driven effort to provide as much material as we
can in a format that's as free and open as LiveCode itself.

That said, books also play a useful role in evangelizing LiveCode as a
platform, esp. when they come from established publishers.   A good
publisher can do wonders for reinforcing a strong image of LiveCode and
its ever-expanding third-party ecosystem.  I have some contacts at
publishers and would be happy to provide introductions if useful.

And the upside for book publishing is that with RunRev's newsletters
having displaced much of the energy that used to go into LiveCode
Journal, at this point LCJ is mostly a one-man show.  Being heavily
booked with client commitments, devoting time to fleshing out what can
go there has been challenging, and somewhat slow.

Still, I felt obliged to note what's coming with the LiveCode Server
Center at LCJ (hopefully sooner than later), and to extend an invitation
for anyone interested in sharing free learning materials to consider
LiveCodeJournal.com as an available venue for community resources, not
only for LiveCode Server but anything else you feel would be of interest
to the community.

We have all the infrastructure Dreamhost provides, and plenty of disk
space and bandwidth, all there for use by the LiveCode community.

--
   Richard Gaskin
   LiveCode Community Manager
   richard at livecode.org