please help!!

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Jun 8 00:55:16 EDT 2014

I know you've found a workaround now, but I'm curious:

Where does "rownum" get its value?

Do the button names match their labels exactly? Your handler references
the buttons by name ("button thisButton") but then looks at their
labels. If they don't match, the handler won't be working with the
button you think it is. (Though this wouldn't explain the success when
debugging.)

What happens if you omit the rowNum variable in the repeat loop:

repeat with x = 1 to rowNum
  put ("tile1" & x) into thisButton
  set the opaque of btn thisButton to (the label of btn thisButton = "?")
end repeat