Maiden speech from an old man

Alain Farmer alain_farmer at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 27 12:59:41 EDT 2014

My two cents worth,
I love y'all and want to continue to communicate with you,
but, let's face it, this is a VERY-busy mailing-list.
So busy it is hard to keep-up, or even read most messages anymore.
My webmail-client often puts our mail-list messages in my spam folder.
For actively working on something, e-mail is great, but, for reference, it's less-than-ideal.
Forums are a little better, for reference, because the topics are separate and maintained.
Plus we can overlook topics that are of no-interest, whereas mail mixes everything together.
Filtering is an option, but it requires work, debugging, maintenance ... and web-mail is limited in this regard.

The best-option for [how-to] reference material would be one that aggregates problems and solutions.
Not have-to read-through old [inconclusive] threads, and skip directly to the conclusions and solutions.
It could be a reference website, maintained by Runtime and/or by some fans;
but, if there are many, which one would be the canonical one ?

Someone proposed an aggregator: I think it's a GOOD idea; I could help with this.
This aggregator could then make the information available in many ways: site, rss, mail, Open-Data (json, rdf, etc), API.
Everyone then gets/uses their LiveCode information as they wish.

Being able to add to the internal documentation of LiveCode is also a worthy proposal.
I think we can all agree that we need MORE DOCS in-order-to fully-benefit from this marvel called LiveCode.
If Runtime wants LiveCode to spread to a wider audience, it's in their interest to help us overcome the learning curve.
My two cents worth,
Alain

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 11:04:00 AM, Dr. Hawkins <dochawk at gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM, hh <hh at livecode.org> wrote:

> > [Richard H. wrote:] Listserves and usenet on the one hand, and web fora
> on the other, are completely different creatures.
>
> No, some of the users are. It's sometimes just another kind of thinking,
> of being ready or not for changes.
>
> Change <> better.

It is *not* just resistance to change.  I can navigate email or usenet far
faster than a website.  More importantly, it's part of my ongoing mail
feed, and I don't have to specifically look.  I have very low volume lists
(a few a year), and lists with volume that dwarf this one.  At the moment,
I'm months behind on most of my favorite fora, and current or nearly so on
all but one of my listserves (save one which is filtered).

I haven't made it to usenet in over a year, I think.

And the ability to filter email or usenet is head & shoulders above any
forum software I've ever seen.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462