OT-ish warning: Apple is still using Mac Roman

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Wed Jan 29 18:30:52 EST 2014

Thanks Devin

Ha! So the person who wrote the text just **thought** they were minus signs. The trouble with the en dash (as opposed to the em dash - I used to set type by hand, so I remember these) is that the glyph in most fonts is very close to the minus sign. So maybe I haven't got a problem after all (or I can look for the various dashes and treat them as minuses, I suppose). By the way MacToISO(numToChar(208)) gives ñ in a LiveCode field or script (that's the 'n' in 'manaña' I guess). Anyway it does look as if I was right about Pages still using the Mac private character set for characters greater than Ascii 127. Hope so.

Thanks again

Graham