RELEASE LiveCode 6.6 DP1

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 06:59:33 EST 2014

On 23/02/14 13:43, Thierry Douez wrote:
>>> I still think that adding an assert command (of all things) is a
>>> completely wrong way to do that tho.

Well, everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

One of the things I really, really like about Livecode, is the way that
there are many ways to do the same thing.

When I think about programming languages I did "battle" with in the
past; I normally find that when I want to do something
either 'new' (as in "New To You'), or another way to somebody else (ref.
my recent posting about 'offset'), it takes a relatively
short time (as in hours instead of weeks) to work out a way to do that.

I don't really understand 'assert' (mainly because I haven't bothered to
sit down and play around with it - always the best way
as far as I'm concerned), but as far as I am concerned, the more ways
there are of doing things the stronger Livecode becomes.

-----------------

I would take issue with "completely wrong way" as that seems very strong
indeed for what is, after all, a matter of taste,
and entirely subjective.

One should always remember that in the RunRev HQ in Edinburgh,
everything is a judgement call, it is not simply
implementation of something handed down from God. So far, the people at
RunRev have done a really reasonable job at
keeping the clamouring hoards (Thee, Me and everybody else who is in one
way or another a stakeholder in Livecode)
satisfied.

If you don't like 'assert' then go out for a long walk, play with the
cat, become intoxicated, listen to a long symphony, or
whatever else gets your creative mind working, and work out a way that
you think is better to do the same thing.

Richmond.