[New] BPG Image Format

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Mon Dec 15 10:40:42 EST 2014

Some years back, I took a tiff file, printed it out on a color proofing device, then saved it as a JPEG file with medium compression and printed it again. From a small distance, our graphics artist could not tell which image was which or see a difference. Up close however, his trained eye could see minute variations in the JPEG image.

I wonder if he could have seen the difference using low JPEG compression. I guess my point is, if it takes a trained eye to tell the difference, how much “better” can better be? It might be like trying to produce a higher resolution display than a retina display. The difference becomes purely academic at some point.

Now as far as file size, if they can achieve same size or smaller than JPEG with a noticeable improvement in quality, why then that is something.

Bob S