._!

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 26 19:30:00 EDT 2014

Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richard Gaskin <ambassador at ...> writes:
>
>> When copying files from a Mac to a volume formatted with NTFS or other
>> Windows-compatible format, for each Mac file it also creates a second
>> file with the same name but with "._" prepended to it.
>
> Those are Finder information files. The OSX Finder would cease to work
> without them. I'm sure at some point someone thought this was a good idea.

Thanks, but I'm familiar with them.  I just want to avoid them.

>> I used to write scripts to remove them after the fact, but it would be
>> much simpler/saner to just turn that off altogether.
>
> Removing them by script afterwards is the way to go.

Yes, that's what I used to do, but it seems kinda silly to have to
remember to run a script each time I want to unmout a volume.

Worse, a lot of my clients and friends have issues with this as well -
should they all install some sort of tool and remember to run the tool
before unmounting a simple USB disk?

Searching around the web, it seems Apple's answer is "Yes"; I haven't
yet been able to find even a system config addressable through the
command line for this, and certainly not something in Finder prefs where
it should rightly be.

I hope I'm mistaken, but haven't yet found any way to turn this off....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems