RELEASE: LiveCode 6.7 DP7

Benjamin Beaumont ben at runrev.com
Fri Aug 1 13:19:51 EDT 2014

Dear List Members.

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 6.7 DP7.

*Release Focus*

   1. 50+ bug fixes
   2. Multicore Rendering Architecture

*Known issues*

   1. The multicore rending architecture is causing some subtle rendering
   glitches on retina Macs
   2. Multicore rendering disabled in Windows due to multimedia not being
   thread-safe
   3. 15 outstanding reports against 6.7: http://bit.ly/1nSzINf

*Release contents*
The number of bugs fixed is so large that it no longer makes sense to
include a summary in the release email. Instead, please look at the bug fix
section of the release notes which can be found here:

http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/6_7_0/LiveCodeNotes-6_7_0_dp_7.pdf

*Multicore Rendering*
We've updated the way LiveCode renders on all platforms. It now splits your
stack up into as many section as there are CPU cores. Each core renders
portion of your stack which in theory improves rendering performance by the
number of core available. In practice this isn't the case as there are
overheads associated with this approach. The performance improvements will
be felt in fairly specific circumstances at the moment as there are a
number limitations in the engine we're still trying to remove. However, as
this is the final feature to go into LiveCode 6.7 we felt it important to
get it into testing early.

We've seen a number of glitches on Retina Mac but we would appreciate your
help in identifying the edge cases on other platforms. It is also possible
that some instability will have been introduced. LiveCode was not written
with multicore processing in mind so we have been updating the engine where
necessary to be "thread-safe". If you app crashes please try and reproduce
the crash and report it to us as it will lead us to the parts of the engine
that need a similar update. We think we've caught the majority but once
again, there may be some edge cases that your project exercises that our
test system does not cover.

In the next few builds as we mature the feature we'll release a few simple
sample stack that exercise the cores available on your machine.

*Getting this release*
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/

*Feeding Back*
Please report any issues at quality.runrev.com. Where possible, please
check the list of outstanding bugs at the link above to ensure you are not
duplicating a report. Having said that, our team is here to help so we’ll
mark duplicate bugs as they come in.

Warm regards,

The LiveCode Team

Benjamin Beaumont . RunRev Ltd

LiveCode Product Manager
mail : 25a Thistle Street Lane South West, Edinburgh, EH2 1EW
email : ben at runrev.com
company : +44(0) 845 219 89 23
fax : +44(0) 845 458 8487
web : www.runrev.com