The Missing Link between LiveCode and Teachers

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 16:43:32 EDT 2014

Jeff Reynolds wrote:

Jeff Reynolds-3 wrote
> this is all so true. I have this issue in educational media publishers as
> they all want everything on the web but i still get constant feedback from
> teachers that they like to have a cdrom in their hand to base their
> curriculum on rather than a web site. Why? Because websites with content,
> even those subscription based ones from publishers tend to go poof fast.
> Even publishers tend to start ignoring titles after just a few years. If
> teachers want to base curriculums on certain content they want it there
> for many years to pay off the investment and not have to be continually
> changing things. High bandwidth or any bandwidth at all is also an issue
> in many schools still. Hypermedia works so much better for this delivery
> than browser based approaches. Unfortunately though publisher just think
> this direction is dead and distributors as well so almost impossible to go
> down that route anymore. But the issue of web based materials getting
> quickly forgotten and breaking in new browser revs or just disappearing
> still goes on.

Do you know why this happens?
Because these "disappearing" supporting websites
actually makes perfect "business sense"...
As simply like that. :(

I have not think about this previously, but from now on,
will be really careful about these  "disappearing"
supporting websites.

Thanks for pointing this.

Jeff Reynolds-3 wrote
> This also goes for kids producing their own media projects. Hypermedia
> like livecode work so much better at letting the kids do their own thing
> both in versatility and also in teaching more basic programming logic and
> content layout than doing web pages. While some assignments worked well in
> the classroom lab environment (I taught multimedia for a year in my old
> high school to fill in) and is a useful skill, only a small subset of the
> overall curriculum assignments that we adapted to doing with multimedia
> approach worked well with web sites. Even traditional page layout was well
> suited for some assignments as it got the kids thinking into how to
> present the standard assignment content in a different manner and really
> think thru the content not just spit it back. But hypermedia was the king
> for really getting the kids involved in larger projects and team efforts.

The perfect example of this was the Gallery of winners of Multimedia Mania:
http://www.ncsu.edu/mmania/winners.html

Sadly enough, Multimedia Mania does not exists anymore for lack
of corporate supporters.
http://www.ncsu.edu/mmania/

When I was a member of HyperSIG, I ask them:
Could we actually make Multimedia Mania an International Contest?
Never get an answer back...

Al