very, very slow on Mac Mini

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 14:38:27 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 01/04/14 21:06, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
>

> I missed the entire PPC period; I went from a powerbook 180 to an 08
>>>
>> macbook . . .
>>
>  That is a socking great leap.

Yes :)

I switched to unix over LyX and writing equations as a grad student.  Then
3 or 4 years ago, a clearance macbook jumped me at Frys.  I figured I could
always put freebsd on it if I couldn't get along.  And I was about to do
exactly that, until I used spotlight a couple of times.  I thought it would
be focus-follows-mouse that would be hardest to give up, but it turned out
to be cut & paste in X . . .

And I still used them as primarily unix boxen, but with great searching . .
. and better power management/battery life than I could manage under
FreeBSD or Linux.

> The mini is two or three years old.

I am inclined to think that something is sneakily working in the background
> and sucking up the RAM like nobody's business.
>
> Better have a look at all the active processes via the thing that I think
> is called 'System Monitor' in the 'Utilities' folder
> [nicked from Linux]. If there is something racheting up the RAM there you
> can Force quit the thing and see if that makes any difference.

We had to dump a prior account on this machine that got bog-slow with
nothing I could find.  ANy login or switch-user to that account killed
things.

I'll have it back in a couple of days and can try again . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462