XML Newbie Woes

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Sep 24 11:43:08 EDT 2013

Graham-

> the inability of the revXML series of handlers to allow one to
> analyse the structure of an XML in the abstract without knowing the
> names of all the tags, or whatever they're called, and the exact
> parenthetical structure.

My guess is that your unfamiliarity with xml is the root of your
problems, rather than a deficiency in the libxml library. I regularly
parse wsdl xml files in this fashion in order to determine their
structure, and this involves recursive hierarchical data constructs
using just text-chunking functions. If you're dealing with a simple
enough xml layout you may be able to construct some text functions
that do the job, but for anything more complex you'll need to dive
into how the revxml functions work.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net