Dropbox Library Update

Dave Kilroy dave at applicationinsight.com
Sun Sep 15 14:15:32 EDT 2013

Hi Roger, I wonder if how I approach things is of interest to you...

I'm assuming that all your app users will be connecting their app to the
same Dropbox account...

I save the Dropbox app-key and app-secret as a custom property in the main
stack.

When an 'originating' or main client gets the app they do all the main
authenticating stuff with Dropbox and my app records the token-key and
token-secret that Dropbox provides on successful completion of the process
in a local SQLite database (these, together with the app-key and app-secret
are what is needed)

Then as long as your subsequent users of the app have some way to tap in the
token-key and token-secret (sent by 'originating' client?) the app will
re-connect to Dropbox and synch with the same Dropbox account the
'originating' user set up without having to do anything with a browser to
sign-in, authenticate etc - the app and Guglielmo's library does all that.

I have it set up so that on subsequent openings the user clicks on a
'Reconnect' button - actually I plan to offer the client a crude text
messaging services by users writing to and reading the same text file in
Dropbox - I've had apps on Windows, OSX and iOS all happily exchanging
messages with each other :)

Note 1: this method allows users to have their own Dropbox accounts whilst
still accessing the Dropbox account that the 'originating' user set up via
their app.

Note 2: apps used by 'subsequent' users will need to have their own local
storage to save the token-key and token-secret.

BTW, I originally set up my app to work in 'sandbox' mode so that it is
limited to it's own app folder within the Dropbox account.