Strange unlock screen behavior

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 19:31:10 EDT 2013

Thanks, Alejandro!

First I looked at the article, and used:

set the compositorType of this stack to "software"
set the compositorTileSize of this stack to 32
set the compositorCacheLimit of this stack to (16 * 1024 * 1024)

...along with setting the layermode on various objects/groups. Some
combination of that improved the situation. The small ship graphic is in a
standard elliptical orbit around a planet, and before, unlock was fast
(~16ms) for about 20% of the orbit, and slow (~ 35ms) for about half the
orbit, and transitioning for the rest. With the above update, the update
was fast for about 2/3rds of the orbit, and slow for about 1/5th.

Then I read the dictionary. I'm on OS X, and used:

set the compositorType of this stack to "coregraphics"

That was the cure. Steady 60fps, faster when the window is obscured.

Jacque, numerous parameter displays are all updating as well: velocity in X
and Y, angular velocity, altitude, fuel, etc. It also updates multiple
ships, but just not locking the screen  jumps the frame rate to a steady
60, and that's what I've been doing. It's in my nature to coordinate
universal screen updates, but there is nothing that really *needs* to
update all at once I don't think.

For anyone who's curious, this is in response to Simple Rockets
http://jundroo.com/project/simplerockets/ which is a ton of fun, but like
Kerbal Space Program, uses odd "spheres of influence," meaning that at any
given moment your spacecraft is subject to the gravity of only one object:
the earth *or* the moon, then the earth *or* the sun, but never two. I
asked, and the general consensus seems to be, "the engine (unity) doesn't
support it, it would be too hard, why bother?" Which strikes me as really
odd given that earth/moon gravity in particular is nothing like the SOI
model those two are using.

So I wrote some code. I can handle whatever number of planets or other
bodies you like, as well as multiple ships. The screen can be re-sized and
re-positioned, the rate of passage of time can be adjusted, and the ships
can orient and thrust, and land and take off. My graphics suck: planets are
colored circles, the ships are much smaller circles. I'm doing housekeeping
on the code right now, but I'll post in the next day or two if anyone wants
a look or to collaborate. I'd love some nicer graphics.