set cursor to busy

FlexibleLearning.com admin at FlexibleLearning.com
Wed Oct 9 15:08:13 EDT 2013

The 'busy' cursor is a BLACK AND WHITE spinning beachball and part of
LiveCode so it is cross platform. It is hungry and eats cycles because it
has to re-draw every time it changes.

The COLORED spinning beachball on a Mac means the app is hanging (i.e. not a
good thing). Do not use this cursor on ANY platform.

The 'watch' cursor displays from OS system resources I believe, so is
platform specific. It looks like a watch on a Mac and an egg-timer on
Windows. It eats virtually nothing.

Point is, don't use an icon that means the wrong thing. As Scott said, use
the documentation (sometimes called RTFM), make sure you know your delivery
platform, and Google is your friend.

My suggestion stands. Use the watch cursor for short processes; use a
progress bar updated every nth iteration for lengthy processes. If you
really want to show a change in the cursor for EVERY repeat iteration, use
the black and white 'busy' beachball cursor, but be aware that it will slow
your routine down.

Hope this helps.

Hugh Senior
FLCo

william humphrey  wrote:

Thanks Scott. that helps. On a Window's platform does set cursor to busy
look like a spinning watch or is it still a MacOS 8 beach ball?