A Text file format for LiveCode

David Bovill david at scimatch.org
Mon Oct 7 09:18:04 EDT 2013

On 6 October 2013 23:46, Monte Goulding <monte at sweattechnologies.com> wrote:

> On 07/10/2013, at 8:52 AM, Dr. Hawkins <dochawk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The format is probably pretty obvious, too . . .
> >
> > begin button myBtn
> >  owner: card buttonville of stack buttonland
> >  type: pushbutton
> >  label: "My Favorite button"
> >  loc:   823, 445
> >  width:  92
> >  height: 39
> >
> >  script:
> >     on mouseup
> >         do something awesome
> >     end mouseup
> >
> > end button myBtn
>
> How would you represent multi-dimensional properties in this format?

You can use folders. I structure things as follows - toplevel we have an
array based representation of stacks, under which you can choose to export
this to either XML, JSON or my preferred representation text and folder
based.

These don;t get around the problems Monte points out - but an established
practice of using handers to define a default state which is triggered on
each save / export to vcs works though it is time consuming to create each
handler - better is to avoid using those features in stacks.

Monte - I thought there was some new stuff in the developer releases for
creating IDs of the sort you advocate? Can you update us?