Is there a reasonable way to use numbers smaller than about 10^-6

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 14:37:59 EST 2013

It's not a secret. I posted about a month ago in fair detail, but I'm doing
a space simulation, similar to Kerbal Space Program or Simple Rockets, but
with correct gravity (they both take shortcuts that appall me). I just
found out that the Animation Engine has a 3D projection function, so if
that tests out I'm going to switch from 2D to 3D. The end result should be
fairly simple visually, but with an accurate representation of every round
body in our solar system (about 50) all of them applying gravity correctly
and simultaneously to the rocket(s).

So far I have correct 2D gravity, export/import of universe definitions,
multiple simultaneous rockets, landing, taking off, and crashing. The
planets and moons run on set paths (I don't calculate their gravitational
interactions with each other). I need to at least change the paths from
circles to ellipses, or let them run freely. I need to finish converting to
km/s/kg from the abstract numbers I started with. I need to add atmosphere.
I need to real-ify the rockets (currently they are one-stage, crazy
powerful, and have unlimited fuel). And if I'm lucky, convert to 3D. And
start testing on an iPad (the eventual target).

And I will just say, orbits are hard.

gc