curlyquotes, character sets, livecode, and english

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Mon May 27 17:45:06 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:
> I think you said that this all works fine in SQLite.  If so, that suggests
> this is not a Livecode issue.  Searching round the web, it's clear that
> PostgreSQL does support UTF-8 and many other encodings.  What is the error
> you get from postgesql?

It's not a livecode problem, but finding a common ground for livecode
& postgres.

SQLite allows insertion of a turnip into an integer field, or anything
else; there is absolutely no type checking.

I've cleaned all my offending examples out . . . .

And now I've tried to replicate with psql, and I can't.

The error was that on a curly-quote that originated at
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-021.html#NRS021Sec090 (in
"miner's") threw the error.  I also got it from double-curly quotes
that came from somewhere.

If I can limit livecode fields to UTF8, I think it solves my problems.

A particular one that *will* come up is mac using attorneys with
windows running in a virtual machine doing cross-os pastes.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462