curlyquotes, character sets, livecode, and english

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun May 26 18:03:58 EDT 2013

I think I may have misunderstood the problem.

If your db wants UTF8 and you have Mac, then maybe you can convert Mac to UTF8.

If you say a Mac string is UTF8 (when it is not) and something checks, then it will interpret numToChar(213) as the first byte of a two-byte sequence.  If the next byte is not in the right range for continuation bytes in a UTF8 multibyte sequence (128 to 191) then UTF8 checking will fail.

ASCII is valid UTF8, so if you limit yourself to characters 7-bits, then that should be OK.

Dar